Le Grande Diplome Professionnel
Fast Track your Career in the Culinary Arts
Le Grande Diplome Professionnel is a 10-month Cuisine and Pastry plus internship program that is offered only at Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa.
Le Grande Diplome Professionnel is designed for students to obtain all the renowned Cordon Bleu culinary arts skills and techniques earned through the Grand Diploma while incorporating additional theory, important certifications, knowledge of best practices and real work experience, including an 11-week internship.
Le Grande Diplome Professionnel program offers students the opportunity to:
- Develop proficiency in classic French culinary and pastry techniques.
- Explore food preparation, menu development, restaurant operations, nutrition, food safety and food cost control.
- Achieve industry recognized certifications such as HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points), Responsible Alcohol Beverage Service Training, First Aid & CPR.
- Gain practical experience in a 3 month internship in a professional kitchen and restaurant.
Level One - Intro to Basic Cuisine and Basic Pastry (11 weeks)
This level covers the basics of professional cuisine and pâtisserie, basic theory and certifications:
- Basic Cuisine: vegetable and grain preparation, cooking and use in garniture; stock sauces and potages; and classic cooking techniques.
- Basic Pastry: selection and use of basic ingredients, sauces, cream, pie dough, biscuits, meringue, viennoiserie and cakes preparation.
- 40 hours of food preparation theory and training in a classroom
- HACCP and First Aid CPR certifications
Level Two - Developing Classical Techniques (11 weeks)
Build on the classical techniques of level 1 while studying additional theory and earning important certifications. Topics covered include:
- Typical French cuisine from different regions of France
- The use of chocolate, buffet desserts, restaurant pastries and hot and cold desserts
- The roles and responsibilities of a chef in a kitchen brigade, including butchery, charcuterie and garde-manger
- Food history and geography, nutrition, menu creations and food cost control
- Responsible Alcoholic Beverage Service certification (Smart Serve)
Level Three - Industry Internship (11 weeks)
Experience working in Le Cordon Bleu Bistro @ Signatures restaurant and kitchen or at another establishment chosen by Le Cordon Bleu though an industry internship. Students spend:
- 1 week at the front of the restaurant waiting on customers: taking orders, serving food and wine and handling billing
- 10 weeks in the kitchen performing the functions of each part of the kitchen brigade spending their time on cuisine (6 weeks) and on pastry (4 weeks).
At the end of the practicum the student will compose an essay about their experience and the employer will grade the student.
Level Four - Perfecting Skills (5 weeks)
Advance your knowledge and technical skills toward the mastery of fine culinary preparation and presentation. Classes focus on:
- Presentation skills
- The use of seasonal produce
- Plate composition
- Modern dessert creation
- Preparation of sugar showpieces
- Desserts throughout history
- Culinary trends
Next Program Start Dates
- 04/01/2011 - 02/10/2012
- 10/12/2011 - 07/27/2012
We recommend a minimum level of English fluency of TOEFL 530 or IELTS 5.5.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at time of course commencement. Applicants who are 17 years of age and live in Canada or the United States can be accepted with proof of high - school graduation.