Fast Track your Career in the Culinary Arts
Le Grand Diplôme Professionnel is a 10-month Cuisine and Pâtisserie (Pastry) plus internship program that is offered only at Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa.
Le Grand Diplôme Professionnel is designed for students to obtain all the renowned Cordon Bleu culinary arts skills and techniques earned through the Grand Diplôme while incorporating additional theory, important certifications, knowledge of best practices and real work experience, including an 11-week internship.
Le Grand Diplôme Professionnel program offers students the opportunity to:
- Develop proficiency in classic french culinary and pâtisserie (pastry) techniques.
- Explore food preparation, menu development, restaurant operations, nutrition, food safety and food cost control.
- Achieve industry recognized certifications such as HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points), Responsible Alcohol Beverage Service Training, First Aid & CPR.
- Gain practical experience in a 3-months internship in a professional kitchen and restaurant.
Level One - Intro to Cuisine and Pastry (11 weeks)
This level covers the basics of professional cuisine and pâtisserie, basic theory and certifications:
- Cuisine: vegetable and grain preparation, cooking and use in garniture; stock sauces and potages; and classic cooking techniques.
- Pâtisserie: selection and use of basic ingredients, sauces, cream, pie dough, biscuits, meringue, viennoiserie and cakes preparation.
- Food preparation theory and training in a classroom
- HACCP and first aid CPR certifications
Level Two - Developing Classical Cuisine and Pastry Techniques (11 weeks)
Build on the classical techniques of level 1 while studying additional theory and earning important certifications. Topics covered include:
- Typical French cuisine techniques from different regions of France
- Pastry Techniques such as chocolate, buffet desserts, restaurant pastries and hot and cold desserts
- The roles and responsibilities of a chef in a kitchen brigade, including butchery, charcuterie and garde-manger
- Food history and geography, nutrition, menu creations and food cost control
- Responsible Alcoholic Beverage Service certification (Smart Serve)
Level Three - Industry Internship (11 weeks)
Experience working in the industry through Le Cordon Bleu Bistro @ Signatures restaurant and kitchen or at another establishment. Students spend:
- 1 week at the front of the restaurant waiting on customers: taking orders, serving food and wine and handling billing
- 10 weeks in the kitchen performing the functions of each part of the kitchen brigade spending their time on cuisine (6 weeks) and on pastry (4 weeks).
At the end of the practicum the student will compose an essay about their experience and the employer will grade the student.
Level Four - Perfecting Skills (5 weeks)
Advance your knowledge and technical skills toward the mastery of fine culinary preparation and presentation. Classes focus on:
- Presentation skills
- The use of seasonal produce
- Plate composition
- Modern dessert creation
- Preparation of sugar showpieces
- Desserts throughout history
- Culinary trends
- High School Diploma (USA)(CAD)
- High School Certificate (Japan)
- GCSEs (UK)
- CAP/Baccalaureat (France) or equivalent.
We recommend a minimum level of English fluency of TOEFL 530 or IELTS 5.5.
Price of the Le Grand Diplôme Professionnel : $48,975.00 CAD for 10 months
Admission: April and October every year